- Title of the project: Towards a decent life for children, youth and their families in the mining sector in Tanzania
- Focus: Control of children labour in the mine
- Stated year: January 2010
- Finished year: December 2010
- Partners: Three local partners: Tanzania Youth Coalition (TYC), Good Hope Programme, Tanzania Mines and Construction Workers (TAMICO).
- Funding: Minipuljen (total budget: 2.083.304 d.kr.)
This project intends to reduce and control the child labour in the mines and to change the original of child labour, resulting in an increased number of children working with jobs related to the mining area instead of in the mines. Several surveys will be conducted in order to assess not only the children working in the mines and their need for schooling, but also the needs of business training for the mothers of the children.
There are three immediate objectives:
- By December 2012, 250 children and youth working in the Mererani mining area are attending school and at least 50 women from women groups are making an income to support their families in the Mererani area.
- By December 2012, at least 100 young people in the Mererani area and surrounding villages are active in youth organisations and other CBOs and NGOs.
- By December 2012, the capacity of the three partners have increased and they are actively using the synergy of their cooperation to act on more levels and initiate long term changes to eliminate child labour in the mines. At least 10 employers (small scale mine owners) are no longer using child workers and have improved health and safety conditions in their mines.
Outputs related to immediate objective 1:
- During December 2010 and January 2011, a baseline survey was carried out.
- During January and February 2011 assessment of children working in the mines was carried out in Mererani and surrounding villages.
- 250 children working in the mines or mining related jobs has been identified and enrolment forms has been filled out.
- Meeting with authorities and schools has been conducted during December-March 2011.
- 250 children have been enrolled into school during March and April.
- During January and February 2011 assessment of mothers was carried out in Mererani and surrounding villages.
- Development of facilitation plans for women was carried out in January and February 2011. The final training curricula will be developed during March and April 2011.
- Action plans for 100 mothers or families were developed during March and April 2011.
Outputs related to immediate objective 2:
- A training programme for 25 youth facilitators from Mererani was developed during March and April 2011. After training of the facilitators, plans for workshops and training of the 500 youth will be developed.
Outputs related to immediate objective 3:
- A seminar about partnership and teambuilding was carried out in March 2011.
- Capacity assessment of local partner organization were carried out during March and April 2011.
- Strengthening of the local partners organisational capacity and sensitising on the project outputs and roles of the partners were initiated in April 2011.