PROJECT INFORMATION Decent work – decent life for child workers in the mining sector in Tanzania
- Title of the project: Decent work – decent life for child workers in the mining sector in Tanzania
- Focus: Improvement of life conditions for children and youth working in the mining sector
- Stated year: 1st February 2008
- Finished year: 1st April 2008
- Partners: Three local partners: Tanzania Youth Coalition (TYC), Good Hope, Tanzania Mines and Construction Workers (TAMICO).
- Funding: Minipuljen
This project seeks to contribute to providing decent work and decent life for children and youth in the mining sector in Tanzania.
This project has three main immediate objectives:
- Empowering children and youth working in the mining sector in Tanzania to advocate for their rights and basic working conditions to organise for decent work and decent life.
- Enhancing opportunities for education for youth and children in the mining sector.
- Promoting employers and public authorities´participation together with youth organisations, trade unions and other stakeholders in taking social responsibility to reduce, minimize and get rid of child labour in the mining sector.
- Presentation of a joint proposal for Child Labour.
- Realization of a public awareness campaign on child labour to the public and stakeholders.
- 40 schools, 10 out of school youth groups, 20 village committees and child labour committees to be involved.
- 800 children are enrolled in education and vocational training.
- 100 households trained in business and entrepreneurship.
- Implementation of a training programme for trade union educators and activists.
- Employment of tools for statistics on child labour.
- Development of capacity building in TYC, TAMICO and GOOD HOPE.
- 75 youth facilitators are trained as trainers and 2000 children and youth are trained on their rights and empowered to be active in youth organisations.